Support for People with Disabilities
For those who cannot see, hear, speak, or otherwise navigate a courthouse, or for those with emotional and cognitive challenges that make it difficult for them to participate in their own cases, access to justice depends on support from the justice system.
This visualization shows findings on the overall performance of each state in providing systems to help people with disabilities obtain access to justice.Performance is measured on a scale of zero to 100, in which zero reflects poor performance and in which 100 reflects adoption of all practices researched with respect to this issue. The purpose of this visualization is to show the index for this category, with the ability to filter and compare the performance of each state. Here are some ways to start navigating the visualization:
- Select ‘Top’ (or ‘Bottom’) 5, 10 or 25 states (i.e., the states with the highest (lowest) justice index) by choosing the drop-down filter and the sliding scale at the top right corner of the visualization. To reset the filter, slide the sliding scale back to 50.
- Filter by Region by checking one or more Region check-boxes near the map.
- To focus on one (or more) states on the map, click and drag the cursor around the states of interest. Zoom in or out using the ‘+’ or ‘-‘ icons respectively on the top left corner of the map. Reset the map by clicking on the blue colored thumb tack on the top left corner of the map. To un-select states, click on an area of the map outside of the states.
- The horizontal bars to the right of the map can be filtered by clicking on a single bar or clicking and dragging to select multiple states. To sort the chart, click the sort icon that appears when the cursor hovers near the x-axis of the bar-chart. To reset the chart, click on an area of the chart outside of the bars.
- Select one or more states in the ‘Index Distribution (Scaled to 100)’ chart by clicking on one or more diamonds. To reset the chart, click on an area of the chart outside the diamonds.
- Filter the ‘bubble chart’ by clicking on a ‘bubble’ or clicking and dragging to select multiple ‘bubbles’. The chart can also be filtered by clicking on the small squares that represent regions. To reset, click on an area of the chart outside the ‘bubbles’.
- To filter by question, determine the question number from the first column of the ‘Response details’ chart and select it from the question number drop-down. Click the desired response check boxes for response(s) of interest. To reset, click on the (All) response check box.